Do It Yourself an Instant Messaging server, an experiment with ejabberd.
This article is divided into three parts:
- Part 1: Prepare The Server
- Part 2: Install ejabberd
- Part 3: Basic Configuration
The goal of this article is to compile and install ejabberd from source on CentOS, configure admin account to enable the web admin and add an example how to configure ejabberd to support multiple domains or virtual hosts.
Part 1: Prepare The Server
Linux CentOS Minimal
Linux server installation:
- You may use VirtualBox or any other virtualization software, or a real server
- You may also do this in a VPS such as in DigitalOcean
- You need fast Internet connection, we will be downloading lots of stuffs
- Install CentOS 6.7 minimal version, get the minimal version of CentOS 6.7 installer ISO here
- Configure the network so that the server will have access to the Internet
- You must make sure that the SSH server is installed and running, access the server using SSH, work from outside
- You will need to login as root during installation
Please note that you can always use full version of CentOS, the same installation steps in this article will still work.
Update: This article will also work on CentOS 7.1