Following the Prosody installation tutorial I wrote last time you’ll notice that we didn’t touch any database configuration for storage, therefore Prosody will use the default storage, the file system.
Here is how to use MySQL as storage backend for Prosody.
Continue reading “MySQL Backend for Prosody”
Prosody is a free and open source software that provides XMPP/Jabber server service for chat or instant messaging. It has multi-domain supports and other XMPP/Jabber features.
Let’s install it, configure it and use it. I’ll be using Ubuntu server 14.04 and Prosody from
Upgrade the server and reboot:
sudo apt-get -y update
sudo apt-get -y upgrade
Please note that you may skip above steps if you know what you’re doing.
sudo apt-get -y install prosody
That’s it. Installation is finished. Next is to create SSL certificates and do some basic configuration.
Continue reading “Dead Simple Prosody Chat Server”
A few days ago I wrote an article about ejabberd 16 installation and basic configuration on CentOS 6.7, and I missed one part where I should wrote the configuration of SSL certificates. You’ll need that to encrypt your chat sessions.
This article has three parts:
- Part 1: Prepare SSL Certificate
- Part 2: Adjust Configuration
- Part 3: Reload Configuration
The goal is to get the installed ejabberd, preferably installed by following my ejabberd installation howto, to provide secure, encrypted, chat sessions.
Let’s just do it.
Continue reading “Secure Chat”
Do It Yourself an Instant Messaging server, an experiment with ejabberd.
This article is divided into three parts:
- Part 1: Prepare The Server
- Part 2: Install ejabberd
- Part 3: Basic Configuration
The goal of this article is to compile and install ejabberd from source on CentOS, configure admin account to enable the web admin and add an example how to configure ejabberd to support multiple domains or virtual hosts.
Part 1: Prepare The Server
Linux CentOS Minimal
Linux server installation:
- You may use VirtualBox or any other virtualization software, or a real server
- You may also do this in a VPS such as in DigitalOcean
- You need fast Internet connection, we will be downloading lots of stuffs
- Install CentOS 6.7 minimal version, get the minimal version of CentOS 6.7 installer ISO here
- Configure the network so that the server will have access to the Internet
- You must make sure that the SSH server is installed and running, access the server using SSH, work from outside
- You will need to login as root during installation
Please note that you can always use full version of CentOS, the same installation steps in this article will still work.
Update: This article will also work on CentOS 7.1
Continue reading “Howto Setup ejabberd 16 on CentOS 6.7”